Anyone who enjoys pizza and lasagna will like this Italian-style rice. It sure has a broad appeal with my family and friends. Usually, I make two or three of these casseroles at one time and freeze some for future enjoyment.
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, sugar, salt, parsley, garlic powder, oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Combine the rice and cottage cheese; spoon half into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Top with half of the meat mixture. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through and bubbly. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Pizza Rice Casserole in Country Woman May/June 2002, p31
Reviews for Pizza Rice Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review