- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon cold lemon-lime soda or ginger ale
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 3 eggs
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- GINGER STREUSEL:
- 15 gingersnap cookies
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- In a food processor, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cover and pulse to blend. Add the butter, soda and vinegar; cover and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- While processing, gradually add water just until moist crumbs form. Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, sweet potatoes, milk, sugar, brown sugar, butter, orange peel, cinnamon, vanilla, salt, cloves and allspice until blended. Pour into crust. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the cookies, butter, sugar and flour. Cover and pulse until coarse crumbs form; sprinkle over pie. Cover edges of pastry loosely with foil. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and maple syrup; beat until stiff peaks form. Serve with pie. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Orange Sweet Potato Pie in Country Woman October/November 2012, p34
Reviews for Orange Sweet Potato Pie with Ginger Streusel
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review