I lived in the Caribbean when I was a child. Every time I make this yummy chicken, the fresh tropical fruits in it transport me back to those happy times.—Lissa Nelson, Provo, Utah
Featured In: 50 Skinny Slow Cooker Recipes
- 2 medium mangoes, peeled and chopped
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fresh pineapple or canned pineapple chunks, drained
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 small Anaheim peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 pounds bone-in chicken breast halves, skin removed
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 32 taco shells, warmed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Place chicken in a 6-qt. slow cooker; sprinkle with salt and brown sugar. Top with mango mixture. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken; cool slightly. Strain cooking juices, reserving mango mixture and 1/2 cup juices. Discard remaining juices. When cool enough to handle, remove chicken from bones; discard bones.
Shred chicken with two forks. Return chicken and reserved mango mixture and cooking juices to slow cooker; heat through. Serve in taco shells; sprinkle with cilantro.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Mango-Pineapple Chicken Tacos in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2013, p39
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Mango-Pineapple Chicken Tacos
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 31, 2017
"Love the fresh flavors! Will make this recipe again!"
Reviewed Aug. 3, 2015
"Absolutely delicious and refreshing on a hot day. These flavors are great together! Love this recipe!"