- 3 to 3-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 10 medium)
- 6 hard-cooked eggs
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Additional hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- In a large kettle, cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender. Drain and cool. Peel potatoes; cut into chunks. Separate egg yolks from whites. Set yolks aside. Chop whites and add to potatoes with onion.
- In a small bowl, mash yolks. Stir in mayonnaise, milk, vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper. Pour over potatoes; toss well. Adjust seasonings if necessary. Spoon into a serving bowl. Garnish with egg slices and paprika. Chill until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Mama's Potato Salad
"I don't like the taste of evaporated milk, I use cream. The rest is the same. Delish!!"
"Fantastic! Very similar to what my mom made when I was a kid. Made it last night, and will make it again. Thank you!"
"I haven't tried it yet but I have never heard of evaporated milk added so it would fun to try"
"I made a test run of this recipe and my family decided it would be the one we use for the holiday. It is very good."
"This is the first time I have ever seen a recipe where the yolks are beaten into the dressing. Very good. I did put sweet pickles in it though, just a few."