- 3 to 3-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 10 medium)
- 6 hard-cooked eggs
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Additional hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- In a large kettle, cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender. Drain and cool. Peel potatoes; cut into chunks. Separate egg yolks from whites. Set yolks aside. Chop whites and add to potatoes with onion.
- In a small bowl, mash yolks. Stir in mayonnaise, milk, vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper. Pour over potatoes; toss well. Adjust seasonings if necessary. Spoon into a serving bowl. Garnish with egg slices and paprika. Chill until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Mama's Potato Salad
Sort By :
"I wasn't crazy about the consistency. The flavor was good but I made this early afternoon, and when it was time to eat it, the mayo sauce had turned a LOT thinner than it was when I first made it. I was embarrassed; even though it wasn't tasting bad, the thin sauce was not how I had expected it to be. I will not make it again."
"Very yummy salad! I did think the sauce needed more salt, and I added some dill. And letting it sit really helped the flavours blend - this technique of adding mashed egg yolks to the dressing is really good and different."
"This potato salad was absolutely delicious; I will definitely make it again. Follow the recipe, and you will have a wonderful side dish. Only one thing I would do differently: let the salad sit and cool overnight, to infuse the potatoes with flavor as well as absorb the extra juice."
"This is a great classic potato salad recipe. Even better the second day. I left out the evaporated milk because I didn't have any and added a tbs of sweet relish."
"My husband and I loved it. I left out the evaporated milk because we didn't have any, and used red potatoes. Yum yum yum."