- 3 to 3-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 10 medium)
- 6 hard-cooked eggs
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Additional hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- In a large kettle, cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender. Drain and cool. Peel potatoes; cut into chunks. Separate egg yolks from whites. Set yolks aside. Chop whites and add to potatoes with onion.
- In a small bowl, mash yolks. Stir in mayonnaise, milk, vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper. Pour over potatoes; toss well. Adjust seasonings if necessary. Spoon into a serving bowl. Garnish with egg slices and paprika. Chill until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Mama's Potato Salad
"Too sweet! But I like this recipe and will make it again. Next time I will reduce the sugar to 2 tablespoons.. I will also add some things to give it a little color. Probably a couple sliced green onions and a can of sliced olives. Good salad and less work than my old way of making potatoes salad."
"Excellent Penn-Dutch style potato salad. I made 1-1/2 times the dressing for 14 potatoes, but kept the sugar at 1/4 cup. A definite keeper!"
"Very good recipe, had many complements on this potato salad!"
"My mother made a potato salad that was very similar to this recipe with the exception of the evaporated milk. This is a great retro recipe for potato salad that I tried for memorial day with my church family and friends. The only addition I made was tossing in a small can of sliced black olives,and a ample sprinkling of paprika."
"I don't like the taste of evaporated milk, I use cream. The rest is the same. Delish!!"