- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large head cabbage (4 pounds), coarsely chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3 to 4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, brown the sausage in 2 tablespoons butter; remove and set aside. In the same pan, saute cabbage and onions in remaining butter until onions are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato sauce, sugar and paprika; pour over cabbage mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the potatoes and reserved sausage. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forKielbasa Cabbage Skillet
"not enough liquid in this recipe to cook the potatoes."
"My family did not enjoy this recipe. It's grossly sweet taste overwhelms everything else. Very disappointed. It should not be called a 'skillet' meal when it is prepared in a dutch oven."
"Not a fan....didn't like the sweet!"
"Made this recipe late night everyone loved it. The only changes I made where I added 1tablespoons garlic power, 1teaspoon salt and pepper and 2 tablespoon A1 sauce and smoked paprika. Really good with sweet Hawaiian rolls."
"My husband said this is one of new favorite dishes! And I loved it too. Definitely a "make again" recipe!"
"I precook the potatoes a couple minutes in the microwave; it cuts down on the cooking time."
"I precook my potates in the microwave a couple minutes; cuts down on the cooking time."
"Our family loves this dish. I make it a few times a month. When I make it I double the recipe and I used canned diced potatoes instead."
"Great flavor, but too much cabbage. Next time I'll add more sausage and less cabbage. Brown onions with sausage, then add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 30-45 min."