- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds boneless pork loin, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1 teaspoon each dried oregano, basil and sage leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Hot cooked bow tie pasta
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add pork, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown pork in 3 tablespoons oil in batches. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute onion in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, wine, bay leaves, cinnamon, tomato paste, vinegar, anchovy paste, herbs, salt, pepper flakes, pepper and pork; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Stir in parsley. Cover and cook 30-40 minutes longer or until meat is tender. Skim fat; discard bay leaves and cinnamon.
- Serve with pasta; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Italian Pork Stew
Sort By :
"I have made this both ways - with wine and with beef broth several times. My coworkers prefer it with the wine, but since my husband likes it better with beef broth, that is how I make it most often. I was often asked to bring this to soup and salad days at work; since I am now retired, I am just making this for hubby and me."
"Uniquely flavored pork dish. Enjoyed when we first made but wasn't as impressed with the leftovers."
"This is absolutely wonderful! The house smelled so good while it was simmering, and what heavenly flavor! This is going in my husband's "Favorites" TOH Recipe Box file! Made it as is, didn't change a thing!!!"
"Everyone at home loved this! So hearty and delicious, the flavor was wonderful!!! I didn't have the parmesan and instead of the parsley, I used italian seasoning. Will be making again soon!!!!"
"This is a fall and winter staple in our house. Even my 7 year old loves it. Instead of serving it over pasta, I add a can of canellini beans or garbanzo beans during the last half hour of cooking."