My husband doesn't even like meat loaf, but he'll always eat this one! He likes this dish because it offers a wide variety of flavors.
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- In large bowl, combine the crumbs, egg, onion, salt and oregano; crumble the meat over the top. Mix gently. Stir in 3/4 cup tomato sauce; set aside. Cut two pieces of waxed paper 15-in. long. Place meat mixture in center of one rectangle; cover with second rectangle.
- With a rolling pin, press meat into a 13-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Remove top sheet of waxed paper. Sprinkle meat with cheese and mushrooms; top with remaining tomato sauce. Roll up meat, jelly-roll style, starting at narrow end; use waxed paper to help. Place meat seam side down; seal ends securely. Place in a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan.
- Bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Drain; bake 30 minutes longer. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Mozzarella Meat Loaf in Country Extra May 1990, p47
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Italian Meatloaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review