Homemade Chicken Broth Recipe
- 2-1/2 pounds bony chicken pieces
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, cut into chunks
- 2 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 to 10 whole peppercorns
- 2 quarts cold water
- Place all ingredients in a soup kettle or Dutch oven. Slowly bring to a boil; reduce heat. Skim foam. Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Set chicken aside until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bones. Discard bones; save meat for another use. Strain broth, discarding vegetables and seasonings. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Skim fat from surface. Yield: about 6 cups.
Reviews for Homemade Chicken Broth
Sort By :
Its a simple and tasty recipe.
Its a simple and tasty recipe
Good recipe - like the rosemary!
This recipe is great as is but I have also used less bay leaf and added 1/2 teaspoon ground sage. Another trick I use is to add about 1 dozen ice cubes to the broth while it is cooling. The fat solidifies and sticks to the cubes which I then scoop out before they melt. This works great if you want to use part or all of the broth right away.
Great recipe, one thing I like to do is use the tips of chicken wings. I cook buffalo or barbecued chicken wings from time to time and instead of tossing the tips of the wings in the trash, I like to save them for my chicken stocks and broths.