"My family loves sausage, but I wanted to reduce the fat and calories," confides Linda Murray of Allenstown, New Hampshire. "This version, which uses ground turkey, is nicely spiced with garlic, sage, allspice, thyme and cayenne pepper."
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- In a large bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into eight 1/2-in. thick patties.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook patties for 4-6 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. Yield: 8 patties.
Originally published as Home-Style Country Sausage in Light & Tasty February/March 2001, p7
Reviews for Home-Style Country Sausage
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 17, 2010
"Excellent!! The apple keeps the turkey moist and has excellent flavor. I will definently make this again. The brown rice adds a good boost of nutrition. I wouldn't change a thing!"