Country-Style Pork Loin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours + standing
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3 pounds)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Hot mashed potatoes, optional
- Cut roast in half. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, onion powder and mustard. Add pork, one portion at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown pork in oil on all sides.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Pour broth over pork. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until tender. Remove pork and keep warm. Let pork stand for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- Strain cooking juices, reserving 2-1/2 cups juices; skim fat from reserved juices. Transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve pork and gravy with mashed potatoes if desired.
- Freeze option: Cool pork and gravy. Freeze sliced pork and gravy in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through slowly in a covered skillet until heated through, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Serve as directed.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked meat with 1/4 cup gravy (calculated without potatoes): 291 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 204mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 34g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Jun 4, 2015
Made this for dinner last night and the pork loin was very tender and moist and it made a delicious gravy to serve over mashed potatoes. I made recipe as stated except I added some chopped onions under the pork loin.
Jan 3, 2015
Was really tasty and pork was nice and tender. Would make it again.
Nov 20, 2014
Seasoned the roast according to the recipe with the addition of some garlic powder. Put roast in slow cooker on bed of onion slices. Prepared as per recipe. Roast was moist and tender. Delicious! I'd make it again. I did not use the drippings to make the gravy, ran out of time.
Nov 10, 2014
I was excited to make this recipe but was then disappointed in the outcome. The meat was tender but both meat and gravy lacked flavor. I am sure once I doctor it up it will be much better. It's a good base but definitely needs work.
Sep 28, 2014
Lacked Flavor...I read all the comments and really seasoned. I even added fresh garlic and an onion. That wasn't the most disappointing part, the meat was so dry. I only had it on for 5 hours on low. I checked it at 3hr30min and the internal temp was 145 which is perfect. I should of took it out, but everyone said how moist it is so I wanted to be true to the recipe. Such a letdown. The house smelled amazing for hours and I was dying to eat it. I threw most of it away. And that gravy was nothing special.
Mar 29, 2014
Based on comments that indicated a need for additional seasoning I added a quartered onion with the meat in the crock pot. It was delicious. I will definitely make this again.
Mar 29, 2014
Mar 17, 2014
Was absolutely fantastic! Thank you for a wonderful recipe!
Feb 13, 2014
Made this recipe according to the directions and it was fantastic. This is definately a keeper!!!
Jan 28, 2014
We had this for dinner last night and it was really good. I did season the roast before browning it . The meat was tender and juicy and the gravy was amazing. The best gravy ever! Thank you Corina for sharing this recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.