Home-Style Country Sausage
"My family loves sausage, but I wanted to reduce the fat and calories," confides Linda Murray of Allenstown, New Hampshire. "This version, which uses ground turkey, is nicely spiced with garlic, sage, allspice, thyme and cayenne pepper."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- In a large bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into eight 1/2-in. thick patties.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook patties for 4-6 minutes on each side or until juices run clear.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 111 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 348mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat.
Originally published as Home-Style Country Sausage in Light & Tasty Premiere 2001
Jan 17, 2010
Excellent!! The apple keeps the turkey moist and has excellent flavor. I will definently make this again. The brown rice adds a good boost of nutrition. I wouldn't change a thing!