- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup crushed saltines (about 15 crackers)
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, combine onion, saltines, egg substitute and pepper. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into five patties.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add patties; cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Remove patties and keep warm; discard drippings.
- Combine water, soup mix and flour; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil. Return patties to skillet. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5-7 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
- Freeze option: Freeze individual cooled steak with some gravy in a resealable freezer bag. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 5 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Hearty Salisbury Steaks
Sort By :
"A good recipe, but a bit overwhelming with the onions. Next time, I would cut back if I use onion soup AND onion in the meat. The gravy is good, but I'll double that part next time."
"Best I've made"
"This recipe is definitely a KEEPER! What a wonderful down-home meal! I served this with the Flavorful Mashed Potatoes recipe and some steamed mixed veggies, and it was just delightful! My husband loved it, and so did my kids...even my picky 7-year old! I used Laura's Lean Beef (96% lean ground beef, hormone free) for an even leaner, lighter-calorie steak. I used liquid egg whites instead of egg substitute (to avoid all those artificial ingredients), and I used heart-healthy olive oil instead of canola oil. I also sprinkled in a little Nature's Seasons seasoning blend into the patty mixture for added seasoning. It was amazing!"
"My entire family loved this recipe, even my picky 7 year old!"
"Super delicious! Even my pickiest eaters at home gobbled them up. Nothing left but a bit of gravy, so...biscuits and gravy for breakfast!"