I love serving Salisbury steak with mashed potatoes and vegetables. With its down-home taste, this meal disappears fast! —Dorothy Bayes, Sardis, Ohio
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup crushed saltines (about 15 crackers)
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, combine onion, saltines, egg substitute and pepper. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into five patties.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add patties; cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Remove patties and keep warm; discard drippings.
Combine water, soup mix and flour; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil. Return patties to skillet. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5-7 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
Freeze option: Freeze individual cooled steak with some gravy in a resealable freezer bag. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Salisbury Steaks in Healthy Cooking August/September 2009, p65
Reviews for Hearty Salisbury Steaks
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review