- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3/4 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 cans (15 ounces each) pork and beans
- 1 bottle (18 ounces) honey barbecue sauce
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. Dutch oven. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until heated through. Yield: 18 servings.
Reviews for Hearty Baked Beans
Sort By :
"I make this all the time and everyone loves it. Don't be afraid of the amount it makes, it freezes beautifully. We've actually eaten it as the main course, not just a side dish. I don't add the liquid smoke and substitute red or kidney beans for the lima beans."
"I made this for our 4th of July traditional celebration and it was a hit! One by one each lady of the their household came up quietly requesting the recipe : ) I browned the ground beef in the bacon fat along with onion and added chopped green & red peppers. Turned out to be one terrific dish! I will be using this recipe from now on."
"I make this side a lot---it's great for any potluck. I put it all in a slow cooker on low for 4-5 hours. I have my hamburger already pre-cooked & frozen, so I saute 1 more chopped onion in the bacon grease before adding to the pot, and also add kielbasa for extra meat. I use a non-sweet BBQ sauce, cut the brown sugar a little, red wine vinegar instead of cider vinegar & omit the liquid smoke. I also use white or cannelini beans instead of the lima & kidney. You just can't go wrong with whatever you add or change to this as it's fantastic."
"I just took it out of the oven and tasted it, I love it, i followed the recipe exactly, i like all the flavors combining including the liquid smoke..someone said the onions would be raw..HUH? i cooked them with the ground beef like it said and they're fine..i didn't think it was too sweet, there are bbq places here that have it sweeter and honestly thats the way i like it so next time i think i'll take maybe do 2 Tbls of vinegar instead of 3...i think it will be a huge hit at the racetrack...and butter beans are lima beans, it says so right on the can , i don't like green lima beans but butter beans are great ."