- 3 medium fresh beets (about 1 pound)
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 2 medium apples, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup yellow grape tomatoes or pear tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 4 thick-sliced bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- CHERRY VINAIGRETTE:
- 1/2 cup tart cherry preserves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. Scrub beets and trim tops to 1 in. Wrap in foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake 50-60 minutes or until tender. Remove foil; cool completely. Peel beets and cut into 1/2-in. pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine salad greens, apples, carrot, tomatoes, chickpeas, walnuts, bacon and cooled beets. In a small bowl, whisk vinaigrette ingredients until blended. Serve with salad. Yield: 10 servings (1 cup each).
Reviews for Harvest Salad with Cherry Vinaigrette
"Beautiful, festive platter! We used some fun variations - different colored carrots and grape tomatoes. I'm not keen on cherry flavors, so we used maple vinegar instead of cherry preserves and red wine vinegar for the vinaigrette. Didn't even use the bacon - it was varied and flavorful enough without it."
"I made this to go along with my beef/barley soup when friends visited. We all loved the dressing and flavors of the ingredients."
"I was intrigued by this recipe and had to give it a try. My husband thought that some ingredients didn't seem to go together. After trying it, I have to agree with him. The vinaigrette is delicious and I'll use it on other salads. I also got the courage to roast beets--also delicious."
"Awesome! I found I preferred the dressing with a bit less oil. Leftovers were delicious on a sandwich the next day."
"This is delicious - the way it's presented in the photo is the best for serving. If you mix it in a salad bowl everything turns purple and one color."
"This is wonderful. I always have to add a little sugar/splenda to my vinaigrette recipes because the are to tart for me. This one is wonderful. I just added a little water to thin it down a little. I love it!!!"