Delicious figs combined with maple, walnuts and creamy mascarpone make a decadent treat that's easy to enjoy at a backyard cookout. These unique hand pies always disappear quickly. —Renee Murby, Johnston, Rhode Island
- 1 package refrigerated pie pastry
- 12 dried figs
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon maple syrup, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup (about 5 ounces) mascarpone cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Warm pie pastry to room temperature according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine figs and bourbon; add enough water to cover by 1 in. Cook, covered, over low heat until figs are plump, 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat; drain. Cool 15 minutes and pat dry. Cut each fig into quarters. Set aside.
- In same saucepan over medium-low heat, combine walnuts with 1/4 cup maple syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is almost evaporated, 5-7 minutes. Spread nuts on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper; freeze until set, about 10 minutes.
- Unroll pastry sheets. Using a 4-in. round cutter, cut 12 circles, rolling and cutting scraps as necessary. Stir vanilla and remaining maple syrup into mascarpone cheese. Spread 1 scant tablespoon mascarpone mixture over half of each circle to within 1/4 in. of edge; layer with 2 teaspoons maple walnuts and four fig pieces. Make an egg wash by whisking egg and water; use to moisten edge of pastry. Fold dough over filling; press edges with a fork to seal. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Brush egg wash over pies. Freeze pies on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet 10 minutes.
- Remove from baking sheet. Grill pies, covered, on a well-greased grill rack over medium direct heat until golden brown, 5-7 minutes per side. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Grilled Figgy Pies in Taste of Home June/July 2017
Reviews for Grilled Figgy Pies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review