Mixed Nut ‘n’ Fig Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup chopped dried figs
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 3 eggs
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups deluxe mixed nuts
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange marmalade
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges. Line pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce heat to 300°.
- In a small saucepan, combine figs and water. Cook and stir over low heat until water is absorbed. Remove from the heat; stir in marmalade. In a large bowl, combine brown sugar and cornstarch. Add the corn syrup, eggs, butter, vanilla and fig mixture; stir in nuts. Pour into crust.
- Bake at 300° for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until set. Cover edges with foil during the last 30 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and marmalade; beat until soft peaks form. Serve with pie. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 749 calories, 40g fat (17g saturated fat), 148mg cholesterol, 321mg sodium, 95g carbohydrate (52g sugars, 4g fiber), 9g protein.
Mar 19, 2016
My husband enjoyed this pie. It is sweet and similar to pecan pie. I used figs from our own tree that I dried using a dehydrator.
Nov 26, 2011
I made this for thanksgiving this year and it was sure a hit! My sister even said it was her new favorite pie! I only had salted butter at home so I gave the mixed nuts a quick rinse instead. I absolutely love the marmalade in this so I used all heaping measurements there :) I'm definitely going to make this a yearly tradition!
Oct 22, 2011
Everyone raved about this pie. Only change I'd make is to the whipping cream. I'd add more orange marmalade or orange extract to it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.