Pecan-Topped Carrot Pie
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 4 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash salt
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Add 1 in. of water to a large saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 9-11 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool.
- Place the carrots, milk, eggs, pie spice, cinnamon and salt in a blender. Cover and process until pureed; process 1 minute longer. Pour into pastry shell. Combine the pecans, brown sugar and butter; sprinkle over filling.
- Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean and edges are browned. (Cover edges of crust with foil during the last 20 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary.) Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 14, 2014
This delicious pie was a a keeper and a hit!!
Jan 20, 2014
I followed this recipe exactly with a homemade dough crust. It was delicious. It combines a pumpkin pie texture and pecan pie flavor. The 4 cups of carrots are almost in-detectable, but they do give it a beautiful orange color.
Nov 30, 2013
I followed this recipe exactly as written and it turned out perfectly. It received lots of compliments at Thanksgiving from both pumpkin-pie-loving and pecan-pie-loving family. The idea had been to kill two birds with one stone, and it definitely worked. I would make this pie again even for a non-holiday.
Nov 17, 2013
This has a great flavor and is easy to make. I made it in a graham cracker crust instead & it was tasty!
Dec 24, 2009
What a great recipe!! I made this with a ginger snap crust in a 9" spring-form pan. As I was out of pumpkin pie spice, I substituted 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp ginger and 1/2 tsp cloves. I have also substituted half-and-half or evaporated milk for the sweetened condensed milk.
Nov 24, 2009
I made this pie for Easter this year and it was so GOOD. I am going to make it again for Thanksgiving. I have to say I liked it better than Pumpkin Pie. This is a must try recipe
Oct 23, 2009
I tried this recipe and found my family absolutely loved it. I will definitely make it again.
Nov 25, 2008
Delicious--unless you tell someone it is carrot they will never know. What a great fall treat and awesome way to incorporate veggies into the diet!