- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 medium head iceberg lettuce, torn (about 8 cups)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups lightly crushed nacho-flavored tortilla chips
- 1/4 cup Catalina salad dressing
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Stir in taco seasoning and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 4-6 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, toss lettuce with cheese. Top with beef mixture and chips; drizzle with dressing and toss to combine. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Easy Ground Beef Taco Salad
"Hubby didn't eat it enthusiastically & I couldn't find a healthful version of Doritos, so did without."
"I made this for dinner and substituted Morning Star Crumbles for the ground beef.I added small white beans and mandarin oranges. Thanks, Lori for the quick and easy recipe."
"Wow--this recipe is so easy and versatile. We added sliced olives, chopped green onion, fresh diced green peppers and fresh diced tomatoes. You can add whatever you have available. I liked the suggestion of adding black beans. When I was growing up we often used Catalina dressing, and I forgot how much I loved it! Thanks, Lori, for good memories and easy prep."
"This was quick to make and very good."
"I add diced tomatoes, diced bell pepper and a drained can of kidney or black beans when I am fixing this for "fancy". If you like it a little spicier, hold back some of the taco seasonings and mix them into the dressing...I use Thousand Island if I'm out of the other two. Also, try Cool Ranch Taco Chips!"
"I used ground turkey and also added one can of diced tomatoes with green chilis. Easy and delicious!"
"This is the way I have been making taco salad for years and we love it. I have used both Catalina dressing and French dressing. I think we prefer the French but it depends which I have on hand. I also always add chopped onions since we love onions. Have also added tomatoes."