- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sherry or additional chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 12 slices pumpernickel bread, toasted
- 1-1/2 pounds sliced cooked turkey
- 4 medium tomatoes, halved and sliced
- 12 cooked bacon strips, crumbled
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually add the milk, broth and sherry. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese and cheddar cheese until melted. Remove from the heat.
- Place toast slices on a baking sheet. Top each with turkey, sauce mixture, tomatoes and bacon. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Derby Hot Browns in Fresh Home Spring 2011
Reviews for Derby Hot Browns
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review