Hamburger Hash Browns
Our three young children keep me very busy. So I need dishes that are quick to cook and, most importantly, that the kids will eagerly eat. This recipe meets those criteria.—Lois Oligmueller, West Point, Nebraska
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 1 cup water
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 can (2.8 ounces) french-fried onions, divided
- In a bowl, combine hash browns, oil and pepper. Press onto the bottom and 1 in up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in gravy mix and water. Add vegetables and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese and half of the onions. Spoon into the potato shell. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and onions. Bake 5 minutes longer.
When making Hamburger Hash Browns, you can use 1 cup of prepared gravy (homemade or purchased) instead of the gravy mix and 1 cup water.
Mar 13, 2013
I have been making this recipe for over 20 years. Tastes even better the next day. Love it!
Sep 4, 2012
Awsome. Loved it!
Aug 25, 2011
It was easy to make and great for little ones, but adults thought it needed more flavor. I'd doctor it upnext time!