Hot Brown Sandwiches
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 8 slices Italian bread (1/2 inch thick), toasted
- 1-1/2 pounds sliced cooked turkey
- 8 cooked bacon strips, halved
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk, broth and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the cheese, salt and white pepper until cheese is melted. Remove from the heat.
- Place slices of toast on a baking sheet. Layer each with turkey, cheese sauce, bacon, tomatoes and Parmesan cheese. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 415 calories, 21g fat (11g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 796mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 37g protein.
May 6, 2017
Loved them! I made two SMALL changes, I used regular fresh ground pepper and thick Texas Toast. Delicious!
Nov 7, 2016
This was a tasty and easy dinner, and a good way to use leftover turkey. We used wheat bread instead of white and left off the bacon. It was still good, but we will probably use the bacon next time!
Jun 10, 2009
We have a sandwich like this where I work and since I work the night shift I'm never there to eat it. This was better than the one from work. I did increase the cheese for a bit more flavor and instead of Italian bread I used croissants. SO GOOD!!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.