Jersey-Style Hot Dogs
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Grill: 40 min.
Makes12 servings (10 cups potato mixture)
- 6 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (about 3 pounds), halved and thinly sliced
- 3 large sweet red peppers, thinly sliced
- 3 large onions, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 12 bun-length beef hot dogs
- 12 hot dog buns, split
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, red peppers and onions. In a small bowl, mix oil, garlic, salt and pepper; add to potato mixture and toss to coat.
- Transfer to two 13x9-in. disposable foil pans; cover with foil. Place pans on grill rack over medium heat; cook, covered, 30-35 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat.
- Grill hot dogs, covered, over medium heat 7-9 minutes or until heated through, turning occasionally. Place buns on grill, cut side down; grill until lightly toasted. Place hot dogs and potato mixture in buns. Serve with remaining potato mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 453 calories, 24g fat (8g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 1261mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 13g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 2, 2018
I loved that this is done in a foil pan, you could also use a grill basket if you have one. I used red potatoes. I prefer "New England Style" rolls, and I buttered the sides and grilled them until they were golden brown. I loved all the textures and flavors in these, and I definitely will be making them again!
Apr 17, 2017
This was actually quite good! We used deli style beef franks, which I think made it taste a bit better than a run-of-the-mill hotdog. We cut the recipe in half for just the two of us, and will have plenty of leftovers. I couldn't find the yellow potatoes so I just used butter, and it tasted just fine. Since I cut the recipe in half, I should have used 3 garlic cloves, but from other reviews, I lowered it to 2 garlic cloves. I think it tasted good! I might try combining different spices in with the potatoes/veggies next time around. I would definitely suggest toasting the rolls, it adds crunch. A great way to spice up some hot dogs!
Feb 24, 2015
YES! Jersey Italian Dogs are the best! Once you try the fried peppers, onions and the best part- the potatoes!! on a hot dog - you'll never forget it! this is delicious! Adjust the amount of garlic to taste- I just use garlic powder.
Jul 2, 2014
Reminds me of ***e Dee's in Newark. You can't get pizza bread in S. Jersey, so I use good Italian rolls. These are the best.
Jul 2, 2014
Not the best combination in my opinion.........serving the potatoes as a side was fine ....I knew it sounded like too much garlic, so I didn't use that much. But we just did your regular relish, onion and mustard on the hot dogs after trying one with the potatoes on it , it wasn't anything special.
May 20, 2013
Fantastic recipe!Tomorrow will be the THIRD time I am preparing these Italian hot dogs.Thanks for the healthy prep and the time saver!
Apr 3, 2013
I love garlic and potatoes. When I say this I thought PERFECT. It turned out NOT!!Cut the amount of garlic in half. It is overwhelming. I will not be making it again.