Jersey-Style Hot Dogs
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Grill: 40 min.
Makes12 servings (10 cups potato mixture)
- 6 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (about 3 pounds), halved and thinly sliced
- 3 large sweet red peppers, thinly sliced
- 3 large onions, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 12 bun-length beef hot dogs
- 12 hot dog buns, split
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, red peppers and onions. In a small bowl, mix oil, garlic, salt and pepper; add to potato mixture and toss to coat.
- Transfer to two 13x9-in. disposable foil pans; cover with foil. Place pans on grill rack over medium heat; cook, covered, 30-35 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat.
- Grill hot dogs, covered, over medium heat 7-9 minutes or until heated through, turning occasionally. Place buns on grill, cut side down; grill until lightly toasted. Place hot dogs and potato mixture in buns. Serve with remaining potato mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 453 calories, 24g fat (8g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 1261mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 13g protein.
Jun 2, 2018
I loved that this is done in a foil pan, you could also use a grill basket if you have one. I used red potatoes. I prefer "New England Style" rolls, and I buttered the sides and grilled them until they were golden brown. I loved all the textures and flavors in these, and I definitely will be making them again!
Apr 17, 2017
This was actually quite good! We used deli style beef franks, which I think made it taste a bit better than a run-of-the-mill hotdog. We cut the recipe in half for just the two of us, and will have plenty of leftovers. I couldn't find the yellow potatoes so I just used butter, and it tasted just fine. Since I cut the recipe in half, I should have used 3 garlic cloves, but from other reviews, I lowered it to 2 garlic cloves. I think it tasted good! I might try combining different spices in with the potatoes/veggies next time around. I would definitely suggest toasting the rolls, it adds crunch. A great way to spice up some hot dogs!
Feb 24, 2015
YES! Jersey Italian Dogs are the best! Once you try the fried peppers, onions and the best part- the potatoes!! on a hot dog - you'll never forget it! this is delicious! Adjust the amount of garlic to taste- I just use garlic powder.
Jul 2, 2014
Reminds me of ***e Dee's in Newark. You can't get pizza bread in S. Jersey, so I use good Italian rolls. These are the best.
Jul 2, 2014
Not the best combination in my opinion.........serving the potatoes as a side was fine ....I knew it sounded like too much garlic, so I didn't use that much. But we just did your regular relish, onion and mustard on the hot dogs after trying one with the potatoes on it , it wasn't anything special.
May 20, 2013
Fantastic recipe!Tomorrow will be the THIRD time I am preparing these Italian hot dogs.Thanks for the healthy prep and the time saver!
Apr 3, 2013
I love garlic and potatoes. When I say this I thought PERFECT. It turned out NOT!!Cut the amount of garlic in half. It is overwhelming. I will not be making it again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.