"When I was working, I'd put this Swiss steak in the slow cooker before I left for the day," recalls Gloria Carpenter of Bancroft, Michigan. A creamy mushroom sauce made with canned soup nicely flavors the tender round steak. "It's delicious and so simple to make."
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds boneless beef round steak, cut into serving-size portions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup water
- Hot cooked noodles
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, brown beef in butter on both sides. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker; top with onion. Combine soup and water; pour over onion. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. Serve with noodles. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Swiss Steak in Quick Cooking September/October 2004, p17
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Creamy Swiss Steak
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review