- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds boneless beef round steak, cut into serving-size portions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup water
- Hot cooked noodles
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, brown beef in butter on both sides. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker; top with onion. Combine soup and water; pour over onion. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. Serve with noodles. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Creamy Swiss Steak
"This was a really a good dish. I made two additions I used cream of mushroom soup with roasted garlic and used 1 and 1/4 cups of beef broth in place of the water. Will keep this on go to dinners."
"I used cube steaks, and it was perfect! Tender, flavorful, and crazy-easy! My husband was sure he didn't like Swiss steak, but he told me this was really good. So a win, I think!"
"This just became my favorite Swiss Steak recipe. It was so tender and had a nice flavor. It was easy to prepare and it was ready when I got home from swimming."
"Very good recipe! Turned out wonderfully, and there were no leftovers! :)"
"This recipe had a good taste, but I found that the meat was a little dry. Next time I prepare it, I think I'll cut down on the cooking time."
"This got thumbs up from my husband and sons. Extremely easy and convenient for the cook. Keep this recipe and ingredients on hand for those days when you would rather be reading a good book instead of cooking. However, I always use boneless chuck roasts instead of other beef cuts, as it's the only one sold in supermarkets these days that has enough marbling to be tender."
"Great recipe! I made it with vension, sliced the onions instead of chopped and threw in a few mushrooms-great on a chilly fall day. Thanks for the recipe."
"This is a very delicious recipe. The meat turned out very tender,no need for a knife. Thanks for sharing! crtripp."