- 3/4 pound pearl onions
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- In a Dutch oven, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add pearl onions; boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute the celery, green onions and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended; gradually add cream and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in pearl onions and cheese. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish; sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Creamed Pearl Onion Casserole in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2009, p47
Reviews for Creamed Pearl Onion Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 22, 2015
"I used Fat Free half and half and light parmesan...Yum!"