Creamed Pearl Onions
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min.
- 4 cups pearl onions
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Pimiento strips, optional
- In a Dutch oven, or large kettle, bring 8 cups water to a boil. Add pearl onions; boil until tender, 6-7 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel and set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in broth and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the parsley, cheese and onions.
- Pour into an ungreased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes; stir. Top with pimientos if desired. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes longer or until bubbly and heated through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 151 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 440mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 21, 2019
Yes Amy you can use frozen pearl onions. Just defrost them first. Set in a collander in the sink. I tested this recipe 2 weeks ago, turned out beautifully. After they sat for a bit, they became a little "thick" so I just popped back on the stove for a quick minute and dribbled in some extra chicken broth. My girlfriend had the same issue, and she used a couple tablespoons of white wine. Will be on our Thanksgiving table next week. I also added a bit more than a teaspoon of fresh minced thyme, purely a personal preference.
Nov 20, 2019
Can you use frozen onions instead?
Jan 6, 2015
This was great! I grew up having pearled onions at Christmas. My Mom passed away this year and I was bound and determined to make these. Thanks for sharing the recipe it was awesome and brought a lot of great memories back!
Nov 27, 2013
My daughter requested creamed pearl onions so I tried this recipe for Thanksgiving. Made them tonight and gave them a taste Wow. Very good I must say they are a little better than my grandmothers they will become a tradition!
Jan 1, 2013
I made this side for Thanksgiving. Easy to make and VERY good.
Nov 22, 2012
Best creamed onions I've made. Thank you!
Dec 26, 2011
My husband has been asking for Creamed Pearl Onions "like his grandmother used to make". This recipe is a hit! He said it's what he remembered from years ago. Thanks for sharing.
Jan 6, 2011
I used heavy whipping cream instead and no butter. Also replaced the all-purpose flour with 100% gluten free Oat flour. I did not put in the salt because the parmesan cheese already added enough salt. Great by it self or over a baked potato or boneless skinless chicken breast. Yummy!!!
Nov 23, 2009
Excellent!!!! Just a perfect recipe... would not change a thing. I did not use the optional pimento.