Dad’s Creamed Peas & Pearl Onions
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 5 cups frozen peas (about 20 ounces), thawed and drained
- 2 cups frozen pearl onions (about 9 ounces), thawed and drained
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 10 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 cup salted cashews
- In a large skillet, combine the first 7 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, until onions are tender and most of liquid is evaporated, 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream. Top with bacon and cashews.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 322 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 783mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 7g fiber), 14g protein.
Dec 26, 2019
This is a very nice side dish. Made it for Christmas. Only used three cups of peas. Substituted sausage crumbled (frozen), add them in with the main seven ingredients. Also not a big fan of sour cream, but I did have some in the house, so I used half sour cream and half regular cream. Turned out great. Made it in advance and warmed up later in a 350 oven for a little over 20 minutes. Thank you for sharing.
Nov 26, 2018
This recipe is so delicious! I made this for a Memorial Day cookout, and there was almost nothing left of it after everyone ate their fill. The only trouble I had was finding the frozen pearl onions, but wow are they delicious. It was worth heading to a second store to find them. I highly recommend this and am planning to make it again.