Dad’s Creamed Peas & Pearl Onions
When I was growing up, it was a family tradition to make creamed peas with pearl onions for every Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. My dad would not be a happy camper if he didn't see this dish on the table. It was his favorite! I made the dish for my own family while our kids were growing up; my daughter now makes this dish for her family. —Nancy Heishman, Las Vegas, Nevada
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 5 cups frozen peas (about 20 ounces), thawed and drained
- 2 cups frozen pearl onions (about 9 ounces), thawed and drained
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 10 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 cup salted cashews
- In a large skillet, combine the first seven ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until onions are tender and most of liquid is evaporated, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream. Top with bacon and cashews.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 322 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 783mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 7g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Dads Creamed Peas With Pearl Onions in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.