Dad’s Peach Ice Cream
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Process: 20 min./batch + freezing
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 5 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups pureed peaches or nectarines
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, optional
- In a heavy saucepan, heat milk to 175°. Stir in sugar and salt until dissolved. Gradually stir a quarter of the hot mixture into eggs, mixing constantly. Return all to the saucepan, stirring constantly. Continue to cook and stir for 10-12 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160° and the mixture coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; cool. Chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream, fruit, vanilla and almond extract if desired. Add the chilled milk mixture, stirring well.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. (Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze.) When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 295 calories, 21g fat (13g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 74mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Jul 22, 2017
Made this today. Best ice cream recipe I have found. Reminds me of childhood summer memories from a few decades ago. Thank you for sharing this.I had to try it because of the name.Recipe doesn't list cooking temps. Medium for heating milk medium-low after eggs are added. Recommend cooking the 10 minutes or so while stirring.Well worth the effort.
Jul 12, 2011
WOW this is REALLY, REALLY Yummy.....I used a soup ladel to transfer the hot mix into the eggs...I'm not left-handed so it was a little tricky...well worth the steps!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.