Dad’s Favorite Pizza
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) pizza sauce
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 package (3 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 1/2 pound deli ham, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted green olives
- 1 can (4-1/4 ounces) chopped ripe olives, drained
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine butter, eggs, grated Parmesan, salt, yeast mixture and 2 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; let rest for 5 minutes. Grease a 12-in. deep-dish cast-iron skillet or other ovenproof skillet; sprinkle with cornmeal. Press dough into pan; build up edges slightly.
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, cook beef, sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender, breaking up meat into crumbles, 8-10 minutes; drain. Spread pizza sauce over dough to within 1 in. of edges; sprinkle with meat mixture. Top with the mushrooms, pepperoni, ham, olives, mozzarella and shredded Parmesan.
- Bake until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted, 30-35 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 596 calories, 34g fat (16g saturated fat), 176mg cholesterol, 1815mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 33g protein.
Aug 29, 2009
This is a 'real' pizza. Eerytime I think of ordering a pizza from a 'chain' I think of this recipe and my mind quickly thinks of something else to fix. In other words, this pizza is delicious and not difficult to prepare. My entire family loved it!