Carrots and Pearl Onions
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 pound fresh pearl onions, peeled
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add pearl onions; boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel.
- In the same pan, cook onions in butter and 3/4 teaspoon sugar over medium heat until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Add the carrots, bacon, broth, bay leaf, thyme, salt, pepper and remaining sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Uncover; return to a boil. Cook until liquid is reduced by half. Discard bay leaf. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 157 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 590mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Nov 7, 2012
Although I haven't tried this recipe yet, I can almost taste it and I'm thinking it may be like the wonderful flavor of carrots from a delicious pot roast. I'll try it with the chicken broth first and then with beef broth. Maybe some fingerling potatoes added with more of the liquid.