Carrots and Pearl Onions
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 pound fresh pearl onions, peeled
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add pearl onions; boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel.
- In the same pan, cook onions in butter and 3/4 teaspoon sugar over medium heat until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Add the carrots, bacon, broth, bay leaf, thyme, salt, pepper and remaining sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Uncover; return to a boil. Cook until liquid is reduced by half. Discard bay leaf. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 157 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 590mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Nov 7, 2012
Although I haven't tried this recipe yet, I can almost taste it and I'm thinking it may be like the wonderful flavor of carrots from a delicious pot roast. I'll try it with the chicken broth first and then with beef broth. Maybe some fingerling potatoes added with more of the liquid.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.