- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cinnamon graham cracker crumbs (about 2 whole crackers)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in bananas. Combine the flour, cracker crumbs, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Fold in walnuts and cranberries. Pour into a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan.
- Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
Reviews for Cranberry Banana Bread
"This bread was so good, I had 3 slices while it was still warm. There goes dinner!I used 2 C flour and added some cinnamon and nutmeg to omit the crushed graham crackers. Also, craisins plumped in hot water for 10 minutes (and squeezed out a little) are much softer and nicer than as they come. Next time I would probably add another banana, but as you can see by everyone's changes listed in the reviews, this recipe is very flexible and forgiving. I will make it again soon. Delicious!"
"I followed directions exactly and the bread was wonderful. Next time I had some zucchini to use up so I added 1 cup shredded and squeezed zucchini and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and baked it the full 55 minutes. Scrumptious!"
"Very good bread. I added applesauce to mine"
"Would make a good present. I put walnut halves on top to decorate. I used vegetable oil. It was pretty and delicious."
"I really enjoyed all the flavors and textures of the fruit and nuts."