- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine the brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar and mustard; add to meat mixture. Stir in the beans. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Cowboy Calico Beans
Sort By :
"Love this recipe, and so do my guests! Have made many times...sometimes adding a bit of crumbled bacon as well. I mix the bean variety too. Great dish to bring to potlucks."
"This is a nice, easy recipe. I love that is is made in the slow cooker. Since it makes a good amount, it's a nice dish to make for a get-together and can be served right out of the slow cooker. It's not the most attractive dish, but it tastes really good!"
"/ add a can of pinto beans just because we like them a lot and crumbled bacon on top before serving. Otherwise, I follow it as written. Really, really good for a cookout or a cool fall supper."
"Love it...added crispy bacon."