- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine the brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar and mustard; add to meat mixture. Stir in the beans. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Cowboy Calico Beans
"I like these beans! I've made them about 10 times, Sweet, sour, meaty, Good!"
"Love this recipe, and so do my guests! Have made many times...sometimes adding a bit of crumbled bacon as well. I mix the bean variety too. Great dish to bring to potlucks."
"/ add a can of pinto beans just because we like them a lot and crumbled bacon on top before serving. Otherwise, I follow it as written. Really, really good for a cookout or a cool fall supper."
"Love it...added crispy bacon."
"I have made this recipe for years and it's a favorite. I use half a pound of ground beef and half a pound of diced bacon. If you're having problems with the beans being mushy, put it in the crockpot for only 2 hours. Some crockpots get a lot hotter than others, especially the newer ones. Everything is cooked before you put it in the crockpot, so essentially all you're doing is heating it up and keeping it warm."
"The flavor of the dish was a bit bland- could be spicier or a stronger barbecue flavor. The beans tended to "mush" together with stirring after the 4-5 hours of slow cooking. But, very easy and convenient to make."