Christmas Rice Recipe
My family has enjoyed this delicious rice dish for many years. With chopped red and green peppers, it's both fresh-tasting and festive-looking. It's the perfect light side dish for a big holiday meal. —Chere Bell, Colorado Springs, Colorado
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a skillet, saute onion, celery and peppers in butter over medium heat for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring broth to a full boil. Remove from the heat. Quickly stir in rice, celery mixture, salt if desired and pepper. Cover and let stand for 6-7 minutes. Stir before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Christmas Rice in Taste of Home December/January 1999, p35
Reviews for Christmas Rice(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 1, 2013
My family of 11 loves this dish. It's not just for Christmas. We like to add shredded chicken to it, and make it a main dish.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- Low Sodium Side Dishes >
- Rice Recipes >
- Rice Side Dish Recipes >
- Rice Side Dishes >