Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Additional candied fruit, optional
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the evaporated milk, sugar, shortening, salt, eggs and 2 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Stir in mixed candied fruit and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (do not knead).
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 3-4 minutes. Pat evenly into a greased 10-in. tube pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to cool on a wire rack.
- Combine the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to reach desired consistency; drizzle over bread. Garnish with additional candied fruit if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 214 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 87mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 17, 2016
Great recipe! It was quick and super easy. I wanted cinnamon raisin bread so instead of the candied fruit I added 1 cup of raisins and when it was time to knead the dough I alternately sprinkled in lines of cinnamon. It was amazing! I can't wait to make this for the holidays using the candied fruit. Thanks so much for sharing!