Christmas Star Twisted Bread
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Confectioners' sugar
- Dissolve yeast in warm water until foamy. In another bowl, combine milk, egg, butter, sugar and salt; add yeast mixture and 3 cups flour. Beat on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into four portions. Roll one portion into a 12-in. circle. Place on a greased 14-in. pizza pan. Spread with one-third of the jam to within 1/2 in. from edge. Repeat twice, layering dough and jam, and ending with final portion of dough.
- Place a 2-1/2-in. round cutter on top of the dough in center of circle (do not press down). With a sharp knife, make 16 evenly spaced cuts from round cutter to edge of dough, forming a starburst. Remove cutter; grasp two strips and rotate twice outward. Pinch ends together. Repeat with remaining strips.
- Cover with plastic wrap; let rise until almost doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake until golden brown, 18-22 minutes. (Watch during final 5 minutes for any dripping.) Remove from oven; brush with melted butter, avoiding areas where jam is visible. Cool completely on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 193 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 192mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 5, 2018
Be sure to read through the directions thoroughly before starting to form the star shape. The end result tastes great and is beautiful!
Jan 5, 2018
Made this for Christmas and also gave one as a gift and the praises were flowing! Making it again for a brunch this Sunday after church! It's a keeper! I imagine you can substitute many different fillings/spreads with in reason for the style of bread it is. Loved it!
Dec 11, 2017
Didn't make this yet, but for those looking for a video... this isn't in English, nor is it a video, but the pictures pretty much show how to do the twisting. I will be trying this soon, so will update review when I do!http://www.webopskrifter.dk/opskrifter/kanelstjerne-opskrift-21764/
Dec 2, 2017
Where do you find the video for this? I need to see the process. Thanks.
Nov 25, 2017
love I just made this for our Thanksgiving dinner Tomar and I don't think it will last till than sticky fingers around lol. Will def make it again, I have a conv oven baked for 18 mins
Nov 19, 2017
Beautiful bread and after watching the video a couple of times made it very easy.
Oct 27, 2017
SUGGESTION : Google "Star Bread" video the recipe might be different, but the technique is the same.
Oct 18, 2017
BigRon2 is absolutely right-video please!
Sep 27, 2017
you should have a video on forming the star
Jan 7, 2017
After reading some of the reviews, I was worried about the baking clear through. No problem here. I will definitely be making this again. I subbed strawberry preserves because family would like it better and I also used more than the called amount.