Swedish Christmas Rice Pudding
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 50 min. + chilling
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- Dash salt
- 4 cups milk
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the water, rice and salt; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Add milk and 1/3 cup sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Whisk together the eggs and remaining sugar. Gradually stir 2 cups hot rice mixture into the egg mixture; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir over low heat for 3-5 minutes until mixture reaches 160°. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Pour into a serving bowl.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours or until chilled. Just before serving, sprinkle with cinnamon.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 199 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 94mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein.
Aug 5, 2019
Fantastic recipe. DBL the recipe with whole milk and added raisins. Love that it uses eggs, so much more creamy!!
Mar 22, 2018
Rice did not set up. Was soupy . Flavor was great, and would have given five stars. Added 1/2 cup of golden raisins, other then that, followed to a tee! Will try 1/2 the milk. Also will do whole milk instead of 2%
Mar 9, 2018