Old-Fashioned Rice Pudding
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 3-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°. Place first four ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- Bake, covered, 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Stir in raisins and vanilla; bake, covered, until rice is tender, about 15 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with cinnamon. Serve warm or refrigerate and serve cold.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 214 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 266mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Dec 29, 2019
Thank you for this recipe my rice pudding came out perfect ??
Dec 18, 2019
Awesome! I use leftover rice so I skipped the stove top portion. I went ahead and still baked for 45 minutes. This is legit old-fashioned rice pudding. So quick and easy! Keeps for several days too.
Dec 17, 2019
@Sue rice pudding is SUPPOSED to be extremely soft and "mush"! It's how my great-grandmother and her mother's before her made it! Don't like it? Eat fried rice instead! This is a fabulous recipe with an old school outcome and it takes me back to my childhood, thank you!
Nov 15, 2019
This recipe has been a family favorite since it first appeared in TOH! Hint-hint, TOH staff--would be really helpful to all of us long-term subscribers if you'd tell us in which issue of TOH or QC recipes first appeared! Not sure why you stopped doing that, but it was a stupid idea. I make it according to the recipe
Sep 11, 2019
Not impressive at all. Rice is like mush
Mar 26, 2019
TO FINISH PRIOR REVIEW, SKIP THE 2% MILK
Mar 5, 2019
We enjoyed your recipe. Thank you for bringing back a lot of good memories. Your recipe was easy to make and clean up quick.
Mar 5, 2019
Try it with adding half a teaspoon of vanilla extract at the end.
Jan 8, 2019
I made this last night and it was very easy and delicious. I did, however, think it was just a bit too sweet for my liking, so I'll cut the sugar in half next time.
Apr 5, 2018
Simple and delicious!!! Great way to use up left over milk. I used whole milk because that's what I had on hand, and it was very creamy and delicious!!!!!!