Grandmother’s Bread Pudding with Lemon Sauce
Comforting is the best way to describe this lovely, flavorful bread pudding. And the drizzle of tangy lemon sauce offers a little zing!
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups cubed day-old white bread
- 4 cups cubed day-old wheat bread
- 1/3 cup raisins
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 cups cold water
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Stir in bread cubes and raisins. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For sauce, combine the sugar, cornstarch, salt and water in a large saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; gently stir in lemon juice and butter. Serve with bread pudding. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 344 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 140mg cholesterol, 244mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Grandmother's Bread Pudding in Taste of Home February/March 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.