Christmas Spice Mix
Wonderfully versatile, this gift is seasoned for both sipping and sniffing. When mixed with fruit juices, it's a delicious winter warmer-upper. Boiled in water, it makes a "scentsational" potpourri that will add a heavenly fragrance to the whole house!
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes1 spice bag
- SPICE MIX:
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR CRANBERRY WASSAIL:
- 1 quart cranberry juice
- 1 quart pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Combine spice mix ingredients; place in the center of two 6-in. square pieces of cheesecloth. Bring corners together and tie with kitchen string. Yield: 1 spice bag.
- To use as a room scent: Place spice bag in a 2-cup microwave-safe measuring cup filled with hot water. Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until water boils. Continue to microwave at 30% power to add fragrance to the whole house. (Add more water if microwaved for additional time.)
- To prepare cranberry wassail: Combine juices, sugar and spice bag in a 2-qt. microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and cut a vent. Microwave on high for 8-9 minutes or until mixture boils. Microwave at 50% power 3 minutes longer.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 178 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 4mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Christmas Spice Mix in Country Woman Christmas 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.