- 1 pound uncooked chorizo or Johnsonville® Hot Ground Sausage
- 2-1/2 pounds medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- In a large skillet, cook chorizo over medium heat until meat is fully cooked; drain. Place chorizo on several layers of paper towel; blot with additional paper towels.
- In a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer half of the potatoes, onion and chorizo. Repeat layers.
- In a small saucepan, combine the broth, cream cheese, cream and salt. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until liquid is reduced to about 1-1/2 cups. Remove from the heat; stir in 1 cup Mexican cheese blend until melted. Pour over chorizo.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with remaining Mexican cheese blend. Bake, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Chorizo Scalloped Potato Casserole
Sort By :
"Flavor good but overpowered by to many potatoes. I would cut the amount in half."
"This was WONDERFUL! And so EASY! A creative and tasty way to use chorizo. Used what I had on hand: 2% milk subbed for the whipping cream and sharp cheddar for the Mexican blend cheese. It worked out just fine and we didn't miss the added calories at all-made no difference in the outcome. It wasn't soupy at all, just a nice and creamy sauce. I must admit, I added one extra cup of cheese between the layers. No 2-1/2 quart casserole on hand, so I just used a 9x13 pan. Potatoes were perfectly done in 1 hour. Hubby & son went back for seconds and thirds and finished off the whole pan! They all said to make this again, and SOON! Served with a mixed, tossed salad. PERFECT! Thanks so much for posting this yummy recipe!"