- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Melted semisweet and/or white chocolate, optional
- Melt butter in a microwave; stir in vanilla. Cool completely. In a large bowl, combine flour and confectioners' sugar; stir in butter mixture and chocolate chips (mixture will be crumbly).
- Shape into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets; flatten slightly. Bake at 375° for 12 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool on wire racks. Dip or drizzle with chocolate if desired. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Reviews for Chocolate Chip Butter Cookies
"Agree with the other posters, this is very much a shortbread cookie. But it is delicious! And very easy to make!"
"I made these but changed the recipe from one cup of sugar to a cup and a half and instead of using vanilla extract I used maple and they are so delicious I love this recipe because it is so versatile... I drizzled white chocolate and dark chocolate on them and my family is now addicted! :)"
"Disappointed. Very dry. I agree with the other reviewers that they are more like a shortbread with chocolate chips. Not like a butter cookies at all. Won't make again."
"can these cookies be frozen? if so, for how long?"
"I made the recipe as stated and it is very good. Nice buttery shortbread-like cookie! I dipped about half of the cookie in melted chocolate, then coated the bottoms as well. As one reviewer said, it is a very versatile recipe - and easy to put together. Thanks for sharing, Janis!"
"These cookies are delicious & easy to make. It is a shortbread cookie with a very buttery taste. I haves used toffee bits instead of chocolate chips so this recipe has some flexibility. I have been making these for years. Five stars!"
"Awesome cookies! Easy and fast. Mixed in my big mixer, I baked them for only 11 minutes, as 12 minutes made them to dark on the bottom. I will definitely make these again and again! Thanks for the great reciepe!"
"My apologies! I meant to say: JANIS Gruca!DELowenstein"
"I have used this recipe from time to time and I added vanilla extract: 1 tsp. OR substitute lemon or almond extract if you wish to have a MORE flavorful cookie! I used regular chocolate chips and I greased the baking sheets before placing dough on the baking sheets. Thank you for this recipe, Janice Gruca! DELowenstein"
"I have made these several times and they are yummy! Lots of flavor!"