Warm up your family with this easy mashed-potato-topped casserole featuring tender chicken, sweet corn and sugar snap peas in a homemade cheese sauce.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each), cubed
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 pouch (3.6 ounces) roasted garlic mashed potatoes
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 1 cup fresh sugar snap peas, trimmed and chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- In a small skillet, cook chicken in 1 tablespoon butter until no longer pink; set aside and keep warm. Prepare mashed potatoes according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk; stir in seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in 3/4 cup Swiss cheese until melted. Add peas, corn and chicken. Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with mashed potatoes; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Shepherd's Pie in Simple & Delicious November/December 2006, p7
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Shepherd's Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review