- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes (1-3/4 pounds)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (8 ounces) process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, brown beef; drain and set aside. In the same saucepan, saute the onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley in 1 tablespoon butter until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the broth, potatoes and beef; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add flour; cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly. Add to soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in the cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook and stir until cheese melts. Remove from the heat; blend in sour cream. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for Cheeseburger Soup
"Making this for the 2nd time!! I switch things around though for my family. I use 2 lbs ground beef, garlic instead of onion, turkey broth instead of chicken. I also diced 2 green peppers. My taters are gold ones and smaller so I peeled diced 6. Topped with diced bacon before serving-adds a smoky flavor.We use this as a dip soup!! Mmm the best with scoop chips. I make for supper main night then put leftovers in qt canning jars.Hubs had this at a truck stop one time and says mine is hands down the best soup ever!!"
"Made this tonight and it was delish. Changed it by using a can of evaporated milk instead of the regular milk, used just over a pound of hamburger, 2 cans of chicken broth, 2 cups of shredded cheddar and 1 cup velveeta, and did not use the flour thickener. It was very tasty and hearty. Will make again."
"Excellent! We added some more velveeta and it was cheesy and awesome! Will definitely make it again."
"Excellent! It's a meal in a bowl. i used a pound of ground beef. Makes it a heartier soup."
"This soup is rich and delicious. This is the second time I've made this recipe and I have made a couple of additions. I use a pound of hamburger which is perfect for my family. We like a punch of flavor so I add a can of Rotel. I use the emersion blender and all it does is add flavor and it doesn't change the color. I fried some bacon and we added it as a garnish. Delicious!"