- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes (1-3/4 pounds)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (8 ounces) process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, brown beef; drain and set aside. In the same saucepan, saute the onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley in 1 tablespoon butter until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the broth, potatoes and beef; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add flour; cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly. Add to soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in the cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook and stir until cheese melts. Remove from the heat; blend in sour cream. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for Cheeseburger Soup
Sort By :
"For Clipnmom - 2 cups of cubed cheese measures volume, whereas the 8 oz. of cheese measures weight. So eight ounces of cheese, cubed, should fill a 16 oz. measuring cup."
"Clipnmom - 8 oz cheese = 2 cups when grated. I use cheddar cheese or pepper jack because I don't like processed cheese. I add a dash of worchestershire sauce too. Crumbled bacon and chopped tomato on top = YUMMY!"
"Not a fan of processed cheese - too grainy and salty for my liking - so will try to find something else to substitute. Sounds delicious otherwise. Will give it a try."
"Which is it? 8 ounces of cheese or 2cups? Help?? Please."
"Good soup. Reminded me of beer cheese soup. Family loved."