Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes (1-3/4 pounds)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (8 ounces) process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, brown beef; drain and set aside. In the same saucepan, saute the onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley in 1 tablespoon butter until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the broth, potatoes and beef; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add flour; cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly. Add to soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in the cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook and stir until cheese melts. Remove from the heat; blend in sour cream. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for Cheeseburger Soup
Sort By :
"Found this recipe a few years ago and since then I've made it every year as a winter tradition meal! My kids would say this is their #1 favorite thing to eat of all time! My son even asks for it in the summer. Any time I ask what they want for dinner, his response for years now has been .. CHEESEBURGER SOUP!!!"
"I took this to our church's annual Chili Cook-off as an alternative for those who didn't want chili. What a surprise when I won 2nd place! People raved and were disappointed when the crockpot was empty! I had not made it before, but my family says that this needs to be a staple in our meal rotations! I track points with Weight Watchers, and even with the Velveeta, it only comes out to 9PPV. Not bad for a hearty and satisfying soup!"
"I signed up just to rate this soup. By far the best cheeseburger soup recipe I've tried. To say that it is a family favorite would be an understatement. My family, friends, neighbors, and co-workers love it. I added a couple of extra things, a little paprika and garlic, and it really hits the spot."
"This soup is amazing. I will definitely make this again. The ideas in the other reviews are something I will try. You won't be dissappointed."
"My husband ate three bowlfuls & indicated it was okay. I substituted 2 T. potato starch for the flour, used 1 1/2 T. Better Than Boullion Beef Base & shredded cheddar cheese with half and half & milk."