Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes (1-3/4 pounds)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (8 ounces) process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, brown beef; drain and set aside. In the same saucepan, saute the onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley in 1 tablespoon butter until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the broth, potatoes and beef; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add flour; cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly. Add to soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in the cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook and stir until cheese melts. Remove from the heat; blend in sour cream. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for Cheeseburger Soup
Sort By :
"I signed up just to rate this soup. By far the best cheeseburger soup recipe I've tried. To say that it is a family favorite would be an understatement. My family, friends, neighbors, and co-workers love it. I added a couple of extra things, a little paprika and garlic, and it really hits the spot."
"This soup is amazing. I will definitely make this again. The ideas in the other reviews are something I will try. You won't be dissappointed."
"My husband ate three bowlfuls & indicated it was okay. I substituted 2 T. potato starch for the flour, used 1 1/2 T. Better Than Boullion Beef Base & shredded cheddar cheese with half and half & milk."
"Never liked the sound of this. Until i tried it. This recipe is a good starting point. I almost always change things to my taste. I have used leftover grilled cheeseburgers in this and the flavor that is added from the grilling was amazing! Also have used some smoked cheddar i had on hand. Or some spicy nacho cheese from a can. I garish with your regular burger toppings tomatoes pickles A1 fried onions mushrooms. Great soup!"
"This is a hearty and easy go to recipe for my family. Even my picky eater children like this. I substituted cheddar for velveeta and prefer the beef broth to the chicken broth after trying it both ways."