- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 large sweet red or green pepper, chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon barbecue seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut three 18x3-in. strips of heavy-duty foil; crisscross so they resemble spokes of a wheel. Place strips on bottom and up sides of a 3-qt. slow cooker. Coat strips with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, oats, chopped pepper, onion, soup mix, garlic, salt and pepper. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into a 7-in. round loaf. Place loaf in center of strips in slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until a thermometer reads at least 160°.
- In a small bowl, mix ketchup, brown sugar, barbecue seasoning and mustard; pour over meat loaf and sprinkle with cheese. Cook, covered, on low 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes. Using foil strips as handles, remove meat loaf to a platter. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Cheddar-Topped Barbecue Meat Loaf
Sort By :
"I really liked it but my husband didn't so I can't give it a 5 star. But it is the best meatloaf recipe I have used in a long time."
"I made this yesterday and it is delicious - definitely a keeper! Thanks!"
"Excellent! Will make this many more times. I add mushrooms & 1 tablespoon maple syrup to mix."
"This was an easy recipe and tasted delicious. I had to make my own barbecue seasoning (taste of home recipe) because I could not find it at the grocery store. When I make this again I will add a little bit of the seasoning to the meat loaf for extra flavor. Yummy!"