- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add cheeses, milk, sugar, butter, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Stir dough down; transfer to two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, combine egg white and water. In another bowl, combine topping ingredients. Brush loaves with egg white mixture; sprinkle with topping. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews for Cheddar Cheese Batter Bread
Sort By :
"This is a great recipe, but I have some questions. Why is it called a batter bread when it is a dough? And in order to make it into a firm dough, it requires a lot of mixing or what could be considered kneading. And sometimes the bread collapses on me when I take it out of the loaf pan, any idea what I am doing wrong? Thank you for your time. S"
"I saw this recipe in my CW magazine and thought about making it...but didn't. Until my sister, who also gets the magazine told me she'd made it and it was WONDERFUL! So I gave it a shot! And it's delicious! Husband and daughter also loved it!"