Cheddar Cheese Batter Bread Recipe
As a dairy farmer, I like to promote our products. This cheesy, golden loaf—a proven winner at our state fair—tastes great fresh from the oven or cooled and sliced.Jeanne Kemper, Bagdad, Kentucky
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add cheeses, milk, sugar, butter, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Stir dough down; transfer to two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, combine egg white and water. In another bowl, combine topping ingredients. Brush loaves with egg white mixture; sprinkle with topping. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Cheddar Cheese Batter Bread in Country Woman October/November 2010, p34
Reviews for Cheddar Cheese Batter Bread(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 21, 2010
I saw this recipe in my CW magazine and thought about making it...but didn't. Until my sister, who also gets the magazine told me she'd made it and it was WONDERFUL! So I gave it a shot! And it's delicious! Husband and daughter also loved it!
More Recipe Collections
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Bread Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Vegetarian Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Vegetarian Recipes >
- Vegetarian Bread Recipes >
- Vegetarian Recipes >