Caramelized Ham & Swiss Buns Recipe
- 1 package (12 ounces) Hawaiian sweet rolls, split
- 1/2 cup horseradish sauce
- 12 slices deli ham
- 6 slices Swiss cheese, halved
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Spread roll bottoms with horseradish sauce. Layer with ham and cheese; replace tops. Arrange in a single layer in a greased 9-in.-square baking pan.
- In a small skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until tender. Stir in remaining ingredients. Pour over rolls. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, covered, 25 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Caramelized Ham & Swiss Buns(25)
Sort By :
I haven't made this exact recipe but I'm still giving it a thumbs up......I got this recipe from a friend and it wasn't exactly the same ---no caramelized onions or horseradish or w'shire sauce, maybe she didn't like those things so left them out. I don't think you can mess up this recipe ! I used regular h'burger buns, mustard powder, no poppy seeds (didn't have any ) . I made them in a 9x13 pan. The men thought they were alittle sweet, but still devoured them ! my g'kids just loved them and keep asking me to make them again ! This recipe is really pretty forgiving and versatile, for me it's a keeper. Now I want to try this version......Oh also they freezer great.....
Made these for Sunday breakfast and I was disappointed that they needed to chill once assembled, my fault, so we saved these for Monday morning. I like the fact that you take them from ther refrigerator and pop them into the oven.I thought the sauce was a bit too sweet, kinda like the sweet ketchup sauce one would would put on a meatloaf. All the flavors came through wonderfully. Next time I will cut the sugar to 1 Tablespoon and carmalize the onions prior to adding other ingredients. A keeper recipe for a quick, flavorful breakfast if you plan ahead,
I made these with turkey & American cheese and fed some hungry athletes while we were on the road. They were a big hit. Now I'm making them again for my family.
These were AMAZING!!!! This is going to be regular for sure. I loved how quick and easy this was to put together. I paired it with a whole wheat pasta salad for a complete dinner meal. I did not use the poppy seeds or mustard because I didn't have them on hand. But they still turned out great!
More Recipe Collections
- Subscriber-Exclusive Baking Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Cheese Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Comfort Food Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >