- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/3 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon white wine or water
- Coarsely ground pepper to taste
- 2 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Sprinkle with sugar and Worcestershire sauce; cook and stir for 13-15 minutes or until onion is caramelized.
- Add the broth, wine or water and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Place bread on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 4 in. from the heat until toasted. Turn; sprinkle with cheeses. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly. Ladle soup into bowls; top with toast. Yield: 2 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Caramelized French Onion Soup
Sort By :
I really liked this recipe. I did add some dried thyme and tablespoon of Marsala wine. Very tasty!
Easy and delicious! Hubby really liked it! However, it makes very small servings so I will double the recipe next time as we often use soup as our main meal for supper. It's a keeper!!
This recipe is really good and quick and easy too! I added a bay leaf, a clove of garlic and a dash of nutmeg to give it even richer flavor.
This is a perfect recipe were there are no left overs!! We used gruyere cheese instead of parm or swiss.
This has nice balance of sweet and hearty--good for a luncheon with a large salad