- 4 ounces bacon, diced
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (21 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Discard drippings.
- In the same skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Combine the beef mixture, bacon, beans, brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, mustard and salt. Spoon into a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 45-60 minutes or until the beans are as thick as desired. Recipe can be easily doubled for a larger group. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Calico Beans(9)
Sort By :
Absolutely delicious. I fry a couple pounds of bacon and three pounds. lean ground beef ahead and keep it in the freezer. Sure saves time next time.
My husband absolutely loved this (me, too)! Now I have to make it at least once a week for him. I cook the ground beef and onions, fry the bacon, mix everything together in the crock pot and let it cook. Great for hot, humid Florida days!!
There are no leftovers when I bring this dish to picnics or family gatherings
My boys (4 & 1) call these chocolate beans. We love them. Wish I could rate it 10 stars
This is an excellent recipe. My family loves this. However, I really don't care for the kidney beans in it, so I double the pork & beans. I use more bacon than called for, I cooked 12 ozs. of bacon . I like this dish meaty! The sauce ingredients I doubled to make it saucier. I get nothing but rave reviews when I make this recipe. It's wonderful! :) Thanks!!
More Recipe Collections
- Bean Recipes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Side Dishes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- July 4th Recipes >
- July 4th Side Dishes >
- Labor Day Recipes >
- Labor Day Side Dish Recipes >
- Memorial Day Recipes >
- Memorial Day Side Dishes >
- Mexican Recipes >