I made this once for my dad and now my mom has to make it often. It's one of his favorites. --Suzanne Kern
- 4 ounces bacon, diced
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (21 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Discard drippings.
- In the same skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Combine the beef mixture, bacon, beans, brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, mustard and salt. Spoon into a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 45-60 minutes or until the beans are as thick as desired. Recipe can be easily doubled for a larger group. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Calico Beans in Reminisce Extra April 1993, p45
Reviews for Calico Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review