- 4 ounces bacon, diced
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (21 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Discard drippings.
- In the same skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Combine the beef mixture, bacon, beans, brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, mustard and salt. Spoon into a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 45-60 minutes or until the beans are as thick as desired. Recipe can be easily doubled for a larger group. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Calico Beans
Sort By :
"Very good, exactly the recipe I was looking for! Doubled it and took it for Christmas dinner, still had plenty of leftovers. I used recipe ready bacon bits and no one could tell!"
"Misplaced the Taste of Homes this came in so had to go on line to look it up. We just love this recipe for calico beans, I do add one more thing, 1/2 tsp of liquid smoke (or adjust to your taste). Makes it taste like cooked over an open fire."
"Love this recipe! It's always requested for our 4th of July party!. I actually make it without the hamburger (hey, what the heck your hamburgers are grillin' later anyway!) and throw it in the crock pot on low for 4-6 hours and voila' , sit back, light a sparkler, grab a cold one and enjoy the party!"
"This is a family favorite."
"I am looking for a bean recipe similar to one that I had about a year ago. This isn't it but it's very, very good. Good enough for me to almost stop looking. I made this without the beef and it was still excellent. It was simple to put together in a short period of time."