- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Salsa, optional
- Place broccoli in a steamer basket; place in a small saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Coarsely chop broccoli and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, egg whites, cheese, flour, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Stir in broccoli.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Drop batter by 2 heaping tablespoonfuls into oil; press lightly to flatten. Cook in batches for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown, using remaining oil as needed. Drain on paper towels. Serve with salsa if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Broccoli Fritters
"Didn't care for them. As another reviewer stated...I'd rather have steamed broccoli with parmesan cheese. So disappointed!!!"
"What a great side dish and way to do something different with garden fresh broccoli."
"I haven't made these yet but they look similar to a recipe I do make using finely chopped steamed cauliflower. My recipe also has some chopped yellow or white onion in the batter. Try it."
"These were definitely lacking in flavor. I would rather just have steamed broccoli with a little parmesan cheese."
"I love this recipe, mostly because it's the only way my children willingly eat broccoli! I have used both fresh and frozen broccoli, and we have eaten them plain or with a dollop of sour cream. This pairs nicely with grilled meats (we also often serve it with the honey lime chicken)."